The following active service is deprecated rsync. This service is scheduled for removal in a future version of SCALE

oumpa31

Patron
I just updated my backup server to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.2 so I could do some testing and i got this alert.
"The following active service is deprecated rsync. This service is scheduled for removal in a future version of SCALE"
So i search it and find out in SCALE 23.10 things are leaving or changing. but i don't really understand what they are saying here
Rsyncd ServerDetermine if enabling an rsync server is necessary on the system. Rsync tasks that have Rsync Mode set to SSH or are externally configured with SSH don’t need the rsync service enabled. The rsyncd application is available when TrueNAS must be used to create insecure non-SSH rsync tasks.
Does this mean that Rsync is going away or I'll have to recreate the Rsync module links to my main server.

I hope you're not using NFS on your TrueNAS server. NFS is also "insecure". :eek:

As for Rsync on TrueNAS SCALE, you'll have to use Rsync over SSH for your rsync transfers. If any clients connect to your TrueNAS SCALE server to use rsync over daemon mode ("modules"), you'll also have to configure the clients to initiate their rsync tasks over SSH instead.

oumpa31

Patron
I hope you're not using NFS on your TrueNAS server. NFS is also "insecure". :eek:

As for Rsync on TrueNAS SCALE, you'll have to use Rsync over SSH for your rsync transfers. If any clients connect to your TrueNAS SCALE server to use rsync over daemon mode ("modules"), you'll also have to configure the clients to initiate their rsync tasks over SSH instead.
Almost everyone in my house uses windows so I've only fiddled with NFS a little. When i was testing slow write speeds.

I hope someone comes up with directions or a video how to do that because all the videos I've seen only show modules.

Almost everyone in my house uses windows so I've only fiddled with NFS a little.
I was being facetious. :wink: (Their reason for removing Rsync Modules as "insecure" equally applies to NFS. Yet they're leaving NFS alone.)

I hope someone comes up with directions or a video how to do that because all the videos I've seen only show modules.
You actually don't configure "rsync" on the server, per se. As long as you properly configure SSH, then "rsync over SSH" works by default. If the user is able to SSH into your server or use "secure copy", then they de facto can use "rsync over SSH" as well.
  1. Configure SSH
  2. Generate key pairs for all relevant users (which will use rsync over SSH)
  3. Change the rsync commands/scripts on the clients to run over an SSH connection

oumpa31

Patron
I was being facetious. :wink: (Their reason for removing Rsync Modules as "insecure" equally applies to NFS. Yet they're leaving NFS alone.)
i just realized your logo is Linux Mint i should have known. lol. I've been using ubuntu and trying a few other distros trying to figure out which one will run most of my programs natively that i use in windows. (lots of video editing stuff) but that's another story.

You actually don't configure "rsync" on the server, per se. As long as you properly configure SSH, then "rsync over SSH" works by default. If the user is able to SSH into your server or use "secure copy", then they de facto can use "rsync over SSH" as well.
  1. Configure SSH
  2. Generate key pairs for all relevant users (which will use rsync over SSH)
  3. Change the rsync commands/scripts on the clients to run over an SSH connection
Well i have a main truenas scale server that i use for all the houses' data and media. and then i rsync that data to a second truenas scale server just incase i have a failure with the main server. having the ability to go to a exact same plex server has saved me from my kids a couple times. So i am only using rsync between 2 different scale servers.

I had thought about a cluster but then I'd need to build an third machine and I'm just happy that the wife aka boss let me spend money on 2 machines.

boltran

Cadet
I am in a similar situation. I am new to TrueNAS. I configured an rsync module as a service, and it works out of the box. Seeing that it is being removed, I tried installing the rsyncd app. It gives me the port 30026 that rsync is going to use. It does not allow me to override it to the standard port of 873. Why? Is it because it is considered insecure? I run an OpenVPN server, to which TrueNAS is connected as a client. That is secure enough for me. Now, do I need to run an ssh service on TrueNAS (that I did not need before), so that I can use rsync on a more complicated way, (such as
rsync -avz -e 'ssh -p <port_number>' user@hostname::module_name /path/to/destination) just to be able to use rsync?

Then there is another new problem, too. the rsyncd app does not allow me to use the folder that is serviced by Samba. Why? It has worked just fine with the old rsync service. What is the workaround for that?

All this leaves me scared enough not to upgrade. And there are more to come, such as the removal of the OpenVPN client service that I found useful.

I installed Truenas SCALE to store the remote backup I run for an office to replace the simple mdadm raid5 server. I was plannig to swith to TrueNAS at the office location, too. But with all this trouble, and uncertainty, that server will remain on Unraid for now.

sretalla