Error installing apps

hur

Cadet
I am a computers student and new to servers and linux in general. I setup an old pc with truenas scale for testing and learning and was successful with setting up pools and smb but whenever i try to install an app (tried sonarr and pihole) it gives me the following errors.

Chart.release.deleteWaiting for x pods to terminate

Chart.release.create Failure occurred while installing x, cleaning up

What can i be doing wrong and what can i do to fix this issue? Tia

hur

Cadet
Version:
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31245 @ 3.30GHz
8GB Ram
1tb storage hdd
128 boot ssd

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You do not really have enough memory to support apps. 8GB is the minimum RAM required for the base system to be able to operate.

hur

Cadet
So if i am unable to upgrade my ram at the moment the best option would be to switch os?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So if i am unable to upgrade my ram at the moment the best option would be to switch os?

Perhaps more specifically, change filesystem. ZFS is known for requiring a lot of memory resources, and with TrueNAS, some significant memory is also used for the middleware.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The depends on what you want to achieve. You never mentioned why you chose TrueNAS in the first place.

hur

Cadet
The depends on what you want to achieve. You never mentioned why you chose TrueNAS in the first place.
The primary reason for me to build this system was to learn more about servers in general. While doing so i wanted to build a system that would function as a basic nas and run apps like sonarr, radarr and basic jellyfin. If i were able to run my testing python bots on it would have been a plus.

hur

Cadet
I chose truenas scale because it used linux so it was an opportunity for me to get into linux and learn it a little, the user interface seemed more easy and intuitive to me unlike openmediavault (omv) etc, and was free unlike unraid.

Perhaps more specifically, change filesystem. ZFS is known for requiring a lot of memory resources, and with TrueNAS, some significant memory is also used for the middleware.
From what I've read online and understood, omv doesn't use zfs natively and runs Linux so that could be a good place for me to begin my journey.

MisterE2002

Patron
although memory upgrade is advisable. I am not sure this is the current problem. I test my stuff in a VM with 4GB memory assigned.
Did you try to disable the "verify host path" feature? Apps screen -> Settings.

hur

Cadet
although memory upgrade is advisable. I am not sure this is the current problem. I test my stuff in a VM with 4GB memory assigned.
Did you try to disable the "verify host path" feature? Apps screen -> Settings.
Do you mean the "Enable Host Path Safety Checks" settings? If yes, then it is currently checked and no i haven't tested that but i can try unchecking that option and reinstalling the applications and see if that fixes the issue

P.S i tried installing pihole from the native truenas scale library with default settings, it installed the application but installing any app from truecharts library is giving me errors

MisterE2002

Patron
Do you mean the "Enable Host Path Safety Checks" settings? If yes, then it is currently checked and no i haven't tested that but i can try unchecking that option and reinstalling the applications and see if that fixes the issue
Just disable and restart the application. If not the solution you can enable it again.

hur

Cadet
Just disable and restart the application. If not the solution you can enable it again.
I am sorry I got stuck in some personal work and could not check earlier. Yeah, disabling host path check seems to have fixed the issue, and the apps are now installing. Can you explain what the issue was and why disabling the option seemingly fix the issue?

MisterE2002

Patron
I am sorry I got stuck in some personal work and could not check earlier. Yeah, disabling host path check seems to have fixed the issue, and the apps are now installing. Can you explain what the issue was and why disabling the option seemingly fix the issue?
Containers can screw up the ACL/rights on the mapped filesystems. This option disabled the checks. The most annoying part is that they did not implement a GUI warning and get stuck in a loop. That will be implemented soon.

hur

Cadet
Containers can screw up the ACL/rights on the mapped filesystems. This option disabled the checks. The most annoying part is that they did not implement a GUI warning and get stuck in a loop. That will be implemented soon.
Makes sense. Thank you for the help you and everyone else!