Fail to upgrade from TrueNAS-13.1-MASTER-202402110815-6477671 to TrueNAS SCALE Dragonfish

ivzhh

Cadet
Hi Community,

Thank you for creating this great tool and supporting the (free) users for a long time. I am not sure what category this thread should belong to: hardware & upgrade (sounds like hardware related upgrade), or TrueNAS Core, or TrueNAS SCALE Dragonfish. Please forgive me if this thread should not be posted here.

I got a M600 ThinkCentre Tiny with 16GB SDD drive. TrueNAS-13.1-MASTER-202402110815-6477671 is a fresh install and now I decide to go with TrueNAS SCALE Dragonfish. During the postinstall stage, a type error shows:

Error: [EFAULT] Command ['umount', '/tmp/tmphmu9g6y7'] failed with exit code 1: umount: unmount of /var/tmp/tmphmu9g6y7 failed: Device busy

The tmp folder is `mktemp -d`, so I cannot create a mount before upgrade to bypass the issue. Is it some installer bug?

Thank you!

PhilD13

Patron
I would not use a beta version of a system. It's for testing only, Beta versions of software generally has bugs, incompleteness, debug info enabled, and maybe some other issues and random slowness.

If you want to move from Core to Scale, then install Cobia fresh and build the system from there. Core is built on FreeBSD and Scale is built on Debian. The two are different and I think best success rate is to start with a fresh install. Even with stable versions of Core/Scale it can sometimes be difficult to migrate from Core to Scale.

ivzhh

Cadet
Thank you PhilD13 for your answer. Actually I tried the upgrade path to Cobia too. The error is grub cannot recognize the disk file system error. I can come back with a log later. My guess is my ZFS boot-vol is slightly newer than Cobia's grub.

Sadly this machine is kinda incompatible with TrueNAS Scale. I am using two DisplayPort cords on both DisplayPort ports on the machine. The grub menu shows ok, but ever since entering the "graphical installation UI", the display shows random pixels. The TrueNAS Core doesn't have the issue and its installer finishes well.

So I guess I need to stay on the master (Feb 11 version) of TNC for a while until the upgrade path is patched (either to Scale or to Core stable).

Thank you~

danb35

Hall of Famer
but ever since entering the "graphical installation UI", the display shows random pixels.
What "graphical installation UI" would this be? Every version of Free/TrueNAS ever (including Dragonfish BETA) has used a text-mode installer.

ivzhh

Cadet
What "graphical installation UI" would this be? Every version of Free/TrueNAS ever (including Dragonfish BETA) has used a text-mode installer.
Forgive my misleading terms. The "graphical" is the text-mode installer, almost the same as the FreeBSD 7 I used a decade ago. To my knowledge , this text mode should be compatible to most systems (I tested both the default one and the baud rate 115200 one). I used the term "graphical" to compare with the grub menu, actually what I tried to use is "menu"-based system. Anyway, it is misleading, sorry for that.
Maybe it is due to this old computer, the grub menu looks fine, but the installer is random color pixels and blocks.

PhilD13

Patron
The M600 ThinkCentre Tiny appears in it's specs to be right on the edge on not working with Truenas. The memory is only a max of 16GB and that is shared with the graphics. Have you tried the setup with the usb stick in a USB 2.0 connector? Have you tried it in the USB 3.0 connector? Some older systems only seem to want to boot properly from one USB type or the other.

A good test to see if the system will work is to make a bootable usb from a live iso of the latest Debian using RUFUS with defaults selected or similar usb boot maker. If the system will boot into that live enviroment and it works okay, can see all the drives, connect to the internet properly, the display works, etc. then the system should work with Truenas. If Debian won't install or the graphics are all messed up then I would suggest looking at a different system.

ivzhh

Cadet
Thanks PhilD13~ M600's USB ports are all blue, and I am using USB 2.0 drive and TrueNAS Core works OK with it. M600 just meets the minimum requirement and it is only serve as a zettarepl hub + SMB hub. Memory usage is acceptable so far.

I will test Debian sometime later when I visit that site, this is a great idea to have a Debian usb for testing. Maybe there is something in the BIOS too.

Following on my first post on the error on the upgrade path to Dragonfish, the error on upgrade to TrueNAS Cobia is

Error: [EFAULT] Command ['grub-probe', '--device', '/dev/ada0p2', '--target=fs_uuid'] failed with exit code 1: grub-probe: error: unknown filesystem.

I read from a previous post that the USB drive connected may cause issue, I will check again on that. The disk information is listed:

Geom name: ada0
Providers:
1. Name: ada0
Mediasize: 16013942784 (15G)
Sectorsize: 512
Mode: r1w1e2
rotationrate: 0
fwsectors: 63
fwheads: 16

Geom name: da0
Providers:
1. Name: da0
Mediasize: 1024209543168 (954G)
Sectorsize: 512
Stripesize: 4096
Stripeoffset: 0
Mode: r1w1e3
descr: TO Exter nal USB 3.0
lunname: TO External USB 3.0 201503310007F
lunid: 3020150331000760
ident: 201503310007F
rotationrate: unknown
fwsectors: 63
fwheads: 255

I will stay with TrueNAS CORE for now as I have migrated all my storage here.