LONG Startup-Time (Hours) after Upgrade

streppel

Cadet
Hey all,

I upgraded truenas to bluefin today. Sadly, after the upgrade, the boot times have increased immensely.
The kernel log up until the point "Not activating Mandatory Access Control as /sbin/tomoyo-init does not exist" is fine.

After that, it takes almost exactly 30 seconds for each other message to appear.

I already tried a fresh install of truenas bluefin and imported the backup there -> first boot was fine.
After another reboot the same issue occured.

CPU: Ryzen 5600X
Board: MSI MAG Motar B550m
128GB RAM (non-ECC)

Pools:
SSD: 4x Crucial MX500 4TB
HDD: 2x5TB WD Red
Boot-Pool: Single 64GB SSD

Other Hardware:
NVidia Quadro P400

Example Log:
IMG_3323.jpg

For the moment I'll switch back to the previous release.
If you need any further information, let me know.

Thanks for your help!

cloudswei

Cadet
Hey all,

I upgraded truenas to bluefin today. Sadly, after the upgrade, the boot times have increased immensely.
The kernel log up until the point "Not activating Mandatory Access Control as /sbin/tomoyo-init does not exist" is fine.

After that, it takes almost exactly 30 seconds for each other message to appear.

I already tried a fresh install of truenas bluefin and imported the backup there -> first boot was fine.

128GB RAM (non-ECC)

Pools:

Other Hardware:
NVidia Quadro P400

Example Log:
IMG_3323.jpg

Thanks for your help!
I have exactly the same issue. Upgraded to Bluefin from 22.02.4 and reboot, it took systemd exactly 30 seconds for printing each other message.
Tried a fresh install using 22.12.0 iso. First boot seemed to be working fine. After reboot, the problem happened again and it took forever to boot up.

cloudswei

Cadet
My setup:

CPU: i3 10100T
Motherboard: MSI B560i
RAM: 64G DDR4 3200MHz

Pool: 2 NVME SSDs for cache, 5 HDDs for data

usaleem-ix

Cadet
Hey all,

128GB RAM (non-ECC)

Pools:

Other Hardware:
NVidia Quadro P400

Example Log:
IMG_3323.jpg

Thanks for your help!
I believe this is happening because of serial console and the following should fix your issue:

It look like you are not using the serial console. If there is nothing connected to the serial port, and/or you are not using the serial console, can you please try the following?

While on GRUB menu, press 'e' while boot entry for 22.12 is selected, and you should see a similar window

View attachment 61319
You should see console=ttyx console=ttySx,115200 . Please remove the console=ttySx,115200 and add loglevel=8 instead. Now you can press Ctrl+x or F10 to boot.

If you are able to boot after serial console parameter is removed, please disable the serial console from WebUI by going into System Settings > Advanced > Console > Configure > uncheck the Enable Serial port and save.

cloudswei

Cadet
Thanks. Tried to disable console from 22.02.04 and upgrade to 22.12.0. It worked! After console is disabled, the system boot time was reduced to ~1 min from 4 mins (It is because the default console baud-rate in 22.02.04 is 9600).

majorgear

Dabbler
I believe this is happening because of serial console and the following should fix your issue:

It look like you are not using the serial console. If there is nothing connected to the serial port, and/or you are not using the serial console, can you please try the following?

While on GRUB menu, press 'e' while boot entry for 22.12 is selected, and you should see a similar window

View attachment 61319
You should see console=ttyx console=ttySx,115200 . Please remove the console=ttySx,115200 and add loglevel=8 instead. Now you can press Ctrl+x or F10 to boot.

If you are able to boot after serial console parameter is removed, please disable the serial console from WebUI by going into System Settings > Advanced > Console > Configure > uncheck the Enable Serial port and save.
Almost a year later, this post saved my life. I upgraded the CPU/Mobo/RAM on my TN and also removed some excess SSD's from the box today. I got to "starting journal" and just sat there for hours. I rebooted it, commented out ttySx speed as per instructs, and my server came right up!

Much thanks for this post. I had the installer USB drive inserted, but decided to try editing grub before wiping the system disk.

artemis

Cadet
As a follow up, this does fix the issue, but because removing the 'console=ttys0 115200' line doesn't get saved to the Grub boot menu, the problem just reoccurs and the 8hr boot up time is back. Since this is a headless unit, I have to hook up a monitor in order to change the line to avoid the failed boot. Is there a way to permanently edit the grub menu to remove that line?

artemis

Cadet
As a follow up, this does fix the issue, but because removing the 'console=ttys0 115200' line doesn't get saved to the Grub boot menu, the problem just reoccurs and the 8hr boot up time is back. Since this is a headless unit, I have to hook up a monitor in order to change the line to avoid the failed boot. Is there a way to permanently edit the grub menu to remove that line?
Never mind, this requires me to read :) Do this to remove the serial console. System Settings > Advanced > Console > Configure > uncheck the Enable Serial port and save.