Please double-check my logic before applying deduplication to backups.

fkelava

Cadet
Hey everyone,

As a freshly minted TrueNAS user with relatively meagre experience running ZFS, I'd appreciate it if you could give me a sanity check before proceeding with backup dataset deduplication. As far as I understand it, deduplication should be approached with care as it _is_ an irreversible process, and one that can have fairly nasty consequences if it goes beyond sane memory constraints.

The idea is this; the pool currently contains a single device, a 6TiB Toshiba X300 drive. It is divided into multiple datasets, but I intend to deduplicate only one; the dataset that contains VM backups from the local Proxmox VE deployment. The only VMs that currently have a strict backup schedule (once weekly) are the twin domain controllers running on Proxmox - the backups are generally 5-6GiB in size, and they are (owing to the fact these are domain controllers) largely unchanging. It stands to reason that they should constitute a load well suited to deduplication. The deduplicated backup dataset has a hard quota of 500GiB, which I do not intend to deviate from. Backups of larger devices/VMs that are prone to constant change will go into a separate, non-deduplicated dataset.

Can I check ahead of time (I have some older backups that I can squeeze into the dataset before enabling dedup) what the theoretical deduplicability is? If so, how?

TrueNAS is running in a VM. It is allotted 16GiB RAM, a limit that I am willing to increase if needed. I believe 6TiB, of which one small dataset is deduplicated, should fit in that constraint. If not, I am willing to increase the amount of memory assigned to it. Setup attached below.

HP Z440 workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1620v3 (4C/8T@3.50GHz) | 32GiB RAM [thereof 16 assigned to TrueNAS VM, 16 to other domain infra]
Proxmox VE 6.2-4 [Linux 5.4.34-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.4.34-2 (Thu, 07 May 2020 10:02:02 +0200), pve-manager/6.2-4/9824574a] | TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE

Drive configuration:
1x Samsung PM981 256GB SSD - currently hosting Proxmox/TrueNAS
1x Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TiB - currently not in use, will soon host Proxmox/TrueNAS so the SSD remains open for ZIL/L2ARC if need be
1x Toshiba HDWE160 (X300) 6TiB - currently the only device in the pool. More of the same arriving in due course.

Does this appear to be a sane course of action? Would you suggest something else? Am I correct in assuming I'd be able to fit this within the current memory limit or do you believe more would be required? If more/supplementary info is required, I'd be happy to provide it.

Kind regards, and thank you in advance for your time and help.

Heracles

Wizard
Hey @fkelava,

Personally, I would not do this :
I would not use a virtual server for production
I would not do deduplication at all
I would not do deduplication with less than 128G of RAM
I would not run anything from a single drive vDev

As for me, that is a clear and big No-Go...

Last edited: