SMB newbie question

raphaelmsx

Cadet
Hi people.

I'm new to TrueNAS, so please correct me if I use any wrong terminology.

Suppose I have two RAIDZ3 sets with 12 drives each, can I group them and make a single SMB share with all available space?

Thanks in advance!

chuck32

Guru
This depends on your setup. Do you the two sets in the same pool or as separate pools?

You can share a dataset, but a dataset will be limited to the pool it is a child of.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi people.

I'm new to TrueNAS, so please correct me if I use any wrong terminology.

Suppose I have two RAIDZ3 sets with 12 drives each, can I group them and make a single SMB share with all available space?

Thanks in advance!
Two separate pools can't really be combined in this way. You can make various hacks at the filesystem level (for example nullfs mounts), but I don't think the UX will be better than simply having two shares. An alternative is to just create a single zpool with two RAIDz3 vdevs and share a dataset created under that.

raphaelmsx

Cadet
This depends on your setup. Do you the two sets in the same pool or as separate pools?

You can share a dataset, but a dataset will be limited to the pool it is a child of.
I don't have a setup yet. I was just asking this question to see if it's possible before I even begin anything.

raphaelmsx

Cadet
Two separate pools can't really be combined in this way. You can make various hacks at the filesystem level (for example nullfs mounts), but I don't think the UX will be better than simply having two shares. An alternative is to just create a single zpool with two RAIDz3 vdevs and share a dataset created under that.
Oh, I see. I'll try that in a test VM.