TrueNAS scale hostname in pfsense

teberon

Cadet
Hello,

I hope someone here will be able to explain why TrueNAS Scale is announcing its hostname together with the domain to my pfsense. Unlike all other VM machines and hardware, it is shown using hostname.domain in Hostname
1647712807926.png

I have set up a static IP for it, but it will never grab it and I assume that happens due to the incorrect hostname as other VMs are happily taking the static IP.

Thank you in advance.

melloa

Wizard
The pic shown is probably the DHCP leases on pfSense. The flag active probably means was obtained from the DHCP pool.

I have set up a static IP for it, but it will never grab it and I assume that happens due to the incorrect hostname as other VMs are happily taking the static IP.

IP assignment is done via MAC address, not client's name, so do two things to begin with:

- Get the Mac address from your TrueNAS network interface and set it on pfSence, under Service > DHCP Server for your LAN interface, with the desired IP;
- Ensure your TrueNAS network is set to DHCP.

That's how I have all my servers, TrueNASes Core and Scale included, so it works fine.

Also read:

pfSense manual and TrueNAS Docs

Good luck.

melloa

Wizard
I have used the mac address for it
View attachment 54227
and the settings are set to DHCP

Re-trace your steps and do what I've suggested. I'm sure there is no bug on scale on the network. As I said I run scale/pfSense on my lab without issues.