Asrock x99 WS/E-10G build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrat_

Explorer
For someone using an Asrock x99 WS/E-10G board, would you recommend UEFI or BIOS boot? It consistently stalls on reboot and initial start. I have twin USB SanDisk drives mounted in the back

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As an X99 WS owner, my advice is to get rid of the thing if you can.
Mine will literally not boot anything with the 2.x or 3.x firmware versions and ASRock support has not provided much in the way of useful advice. BIOS or UEFI, nothing boots. Not Windows 7, 8 or 10, not Ubuntu, not FreeBSD...

Scrat_

Explorer
As an X99 WS owner, my advice is to get rid of the thing if you can.
Mine will literally not boot anything with the 2.x or 3.x firmware versions and ASRock support has not provided much in the way of useful advice. BIOS or UEFI, nothing boots. Not Windows 7, 8 or 10, not Ubuntu, not FreeBSD...

I'll have to take a look to see what firmware version is on there. I know that if I go into the UEFI settings, and tell it to force boot from either SanDisk, it will. Last thing that happened what that after the update, the network panel started giving me errors.

I'll have to try running Windows on it and see how it responds. The Gigabyte MZ30-AR0 has been looking like a very pretty option..

Scrat_

Explorer
I just updated the BIOS to 3.6. Booting is still tedious, but it no longer hangs when trying to boot from my SanDisk keys in UEFI state.

Server guts for shits n giggles.
5cd5d9f82ba774cdbbaee99ca2ec07ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, you're using non-ECC RAM. ASRock support suggested something along those lines, even though my DIMMs were straight out of the QVL...

Scrat_

Explorer
Figured I'd go the non-ECC route and see how it treated me. I'd love to build one based on Gigabyte's MZ30-AR0 Epyc board, but I dunno where FreeNAS sits with AMD.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
People still report some stability issues on 11.1 with Ryzen.

Scrat_

Explorer
Hmm.. good to know. Gives me time to learn and setup my existing baby before going full bore into another. I have a bit a learn, but I'm looking forward to the adventure!

On another note, I may have spoken too soon. I tried to do an update to 11.1-u4 and then there was a hiccup. Thankfully I downloaded the u4 ISO at the same time. *scratches chin*

Scrat_

Explorer
Something I've noticed.. I dunno if I did something, but my cables go from SATA to MiniSAS on a hotswap backplane. Would that stop FreeNAS from discovering my drives?

danb35

Hall of Famer
my cables go from SATA to MiniSAS on a hotswap backplane. Would that stop FreeNAS from discovering my drives?
That depends. Are those true SATA ports, or are the SAS presented on a SATA port? If the former, it could cause problems.

Scrat_

Explorer
That depends. Are those true SATA ports, or are the SAS presented on a SATA port? If the former, it could cause problems.
It's the former. SATA ports they are. If done right, some of them would be RAID ports.. but through BIOS or software - one or the other.

danb35

Hall of Famer
SATA ports they are
I'm not sure, in that case, that a reverse breakout cable would work, and a forward breakout cable certainly wouldn't.

Scrat_

Explorer
I'm not sure, in that case, that a reverse breakout cable would work, and a forward breakout cable certainly wouldn't.
I have a cable with separate SATA connectors at one end, mini-SAS at the other, with a backplate cable for SMART info from what I understand.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
It's the former. SATA ports they are. If done right, some of them would be RAID ports.. but through BIOS or software - one or the other.

Maybe a mod could move this discussion from the "Hardware Recommendations Guide Discussion Thread" to a new "Scrat_'s Asrock x99 WS/E-10G build" thread. @Ericloewe?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Maybe a mod could move this discussion from the "Hardware Recommendations Guide Discussion Thread" to a new "Scrat_'s Asrock x99 WS/E-10G build" thread. @Ericloewe?
Yeah, I was on the fence. Which is to say, I was too lazy to come up with a title. That's 90% of the work when moving messages to a new thread. Thanks for making it easy. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
All the SATA ports on that board are indeed SATA only (well, two or four of them share a connector for that obsolete PCIe form factor, the one with two SATA ports and a tumor). Two of them are from a Marvell controller (ewww). The Intels do fakeRAID, which thankfully doesn't even have a driver on FreeBSD (though apparently GEOM can use Intel fakeRAID disks for GEOM RAID - I've gotta try that monstrosity someday), which means you always get bare disks. The Marvells do some sort of RAID, either fake or really low-end HW RAID. In all cases, Intel and Marvell, disable all the RAID crap.

Stux

MVP
And your backplane... if it’s passive it should work fine, providing you use a reverse breakout not forward breakout Sata/sas cable.

The trick is the two types of breakout cables are visually the same :(

Status
Not open for further replies.