Best way to use existing drives?

troonoob

Cadet
I'm planning to use an old Dell Optiplex 9020 as a cheap homelab. It's got an i7 and 32GB RAM. Interested in using Scale to containerize the services I use. Long term storage is on another system, so the drives in the Scale machine are really just to support Scale apps. I had a bunch of drives laying around so I threw them all in the OptiPlex and installed Scale. Mostly seems to work fine, but have run into some hiccups (NextCloud won't finish deploying) which apparently are related to the fact that I have mostly HDDs in my small pool of leftover drives.

If you had a system with these drives in it, would you even attempt to use Scale, or should I go with something else?

- 240GB SSD (currently the boot drive)
- 1TB SSD
- 3x identical 1TB 7200RPM HDDs

Is there a reasonable way to assign these drives to pools for my use case? To maximize performance of apps, should I put the 1TB SSD in a stripe pool by itself as the app pool, then schedule backups to a RAIDZ1 pool of the 3x HDDs?

(I know storage is cheap, but this is a hobby project, so I'm trying to work with what I have...)

Thanks!