SOLVED CIFS Shares gone missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaersi

Cadet
Hi,

I have a strange problem. This morning when I tried to access my NAS CIFS Share I couldn't reach it. So I check if the machine was up and running and to my suprise I could login onto the Webinterface.
When I opened the CIFS section I was suprised to see that it is completly empty. So I restartet the NAS but nothing changed.
Last night everything was working fine and the system isn't reporting any problems.
I tried to recreate the CIFS but nothing happens. I get no error but the share also doesn't appear.
When I use mount I see both shares:
Code:
Main on /mnt/Main (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Archiv on /mnt/Archiv (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)

System Information:
Version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011
Plattform AMD E-350 Processor
Speicher 7764MB

I hope someone can help me.

Attachments

• debug-warehouse-20160502130032..tgz
    528.8 KB · Views: 213

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Post full output of "testparm".

The way you've configured your samba shares is probably not a very good idea.
(1) you're using the "Unix" permissions type. This is typically frowned upon because it can lead to permissions being in an inconsistent state. Some more experienced users (like pirateghost) on the forums do this, but I think it best to avoid it unless you have good reason. At this point you should not change this because....
(2) You are sharing out the root dataset of your "main" zpool. If you change permissions from within your samba share you will probably break permissions on your jails. Create a dataset "samba" for instance under the "Main" dataset. I.e. "Main/Samba". Then share it as your primary share. You can use "cp" to move the data from "Main" to "Main/Samba". Note that you will need to be careful about snapshots on "Main". You do not want to run out of space on your zpool. Doing this can lead to an inability to delete files to free up space. On a positive note, you do not have snapshots enabled on "Main" and so you are less likely to run out of free space (you can delete files like you normally would).
(3) Your samba shares overlap each other. You currently have three shares pointing to your "Main" dataset:
Code:
[Main]
    path = /mnt/Main

[homes]
    valid users = %U
    path = /mnt/Main/%U

[Main]
    path = /mnt/Main

Samba is probably very unhappy with this configuration, which is why the share disappeared. Fix (2), then Fix (3) so that Main points to your new dataset, then Fix (1) if you feel up for it.

Jaersi

Cadet
Post full output of "testparm".

Fix (2), then Fix (3) so that Main points to your new dataset, then Fix (1) if you feel up for it.

Tanks for the reply and the explenation.

How should I fix 2 and 3 when I can't delete my current share because they are not visible in the GUI.
Can I edit the config file? If so where do I find the correct one?
The thing that confuses me the most is that this setup worked for quite some time and suddenly stopped working, without changing anything :(

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm perhaps misunderstanding you. Post a screenshot of "Sharing" -> "Windows (CIFS) Shares" -> "View Windows (CIFS) Shares" from the FreeNAS webgui.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Having some forum problems. Replacing duplicate post with a cat photo.

download.jpg

Jaersi

Cadet
I'm perhaps misunderstanding you. Post a screenshot of "Sharing" -> "Windows (CIFS) Shares" -> "View Windows (CIFS) Shares" from the FreeNAS webgui.
I just found out that my sahre show up in the menu on the left site, but not in the overview. I Usually only use the top menu. But still the shares should show up or not?

Attachments

• Freenas_CIFS.png
    Freenas_CIFS.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 262

Jaersi

Cadet
ok I think I have a different problem.
I just tried to access the share from a different PC and it works just fine. So I have 2 PCs (Win 10 and Win 7) which can't connect to my NAS and one Win 8.1 machine which connects just fine.
Oh I love this!
Sorry for the confusion, I think I will start to clear my shares like you suggested. Hopefully that helps.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
ok I think I have a different problem.
I just tried to access the share from a different PC and it works just fine. So I have 2 PCs (Win 10 and Win 7) which can't connect to my NAS and one Win 8.1 machine which connects just fine.
Oh I love this!
Sorry for the confusion, I think I will start to clear my shares like you suggested. Hopefully that helps.
Please note that you should start a fresh connection to your shares after making significant samba modifications. The easiest way to achieve this is to log off and log back on to your windows client (not lock the desktop). The most thorough way to achieve this is to reboot the system.

Jaersi

Cadet
Please note that you should start a fresh connection to your shares after making significant samba modifications. The easiest way to achieve this is to log off and log back on to your windows client (not lock the desktop). The most thorough way to achieve this is to reboot the system.
The confusing part is that I didn't change anything. I think my Windows 10 machine might have had an update which caused this, now everything is working normally. But I will move my shares into sub datasets like you suggested.
Thanks again for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.