[EU] Cheap server boards (Gigabyte MC12-LE0, MJ11-EC1, MB10-DS4)

Etorix

Wizard
As first pointed here by @DigitalMinimalist Piospartslap is curreltly selling its stock of Gigabyte MC12-LE0 boards with heavy discounts. They have accepted an offer at 55 E for the bundle with a Gelid cooler!

While this B550 board has only 6 SATA ports, and the PCIe slot distribution x16 + x4 (all from CPU) is arguably less desirable than x8 + x8 + x4 would be, at one tenth of the price of an AsRockRack X570D4U I see little to argue against this server Ryzen board for a home server.

monotux

Cadet

Etorix

Wizard
"Quirky" is putting it nicely… If it were the regular MJ11-EC0, with its x16 PCIe slot, it would make a nice mini-ITX board. But this MJ11-EC1 is an EPYC castrated of all its PCIe lanes, save for a single x8 connector. I suggest that propective buyers look very carefully at the specifications before taking the plunge—even for 50 E.

monotux

Cadet
For €50 it’s a pretty solid setup, given that the dual 1 Gbit is enough. Size and amount of SATA ports, ECC and bmc.

The pcie situation sucks tho. The necessary adapters for using them at all is more than €50.

Etorix

Wizard
You made my point: Adapters for the only avalable PCIe lanes will half-ruin this good deal. And it would still be either a HBA for more than 8 drives or a NIC for better than 1 GbE… All that for a not-so-exciting Zen 1 embedded EPYC. (If anyone is wondering: The MJ11-EC1 was custom-crippled for the G431-MM0 GPU server.)

If one does not deperately need mini-ITX, the MC12 with a 100 E second-hand Ryzen (make it 150 E for a Ryzen Pro 5350G(E) at 4 GHz base for SMB serving greatness) and genuine PCIe slots looks like a more solid setup to me.

Anyway, I don't get commission on either, so pick as you like.

Etorix

Wizard
Having played a bit with these sub-100E Gigabyte boards, the IPMI is slow to boot but quite pleasant to work with. Of particular interest compared with Supermicro, Gigabyte lets you designate an ISO file from your own computer, load it as virtual device and even pass it to the BIOS as default boot option from a drop-down menu in the HTML5 remote console. A bit slow but very convenient.
After going deep through BIOS settings, I found an option to allow ECC error injection. MemTest86 Pro successfully ran on both the Ryzen MC12-EC0 and EPYC MJ11-EC1 while testing ECC.

MC12-EC0 just works as advertised. x16 and x4 slots from the CPU (nice!), only 6 SATA and one x1 M.2 slot from the PCH, which could do much more, so it doesn't make much use of its micro-ATX size. But hey! it was 55 E for the boxed motherboard with a 1U cooler (sufficient and quiet with a 65 W Ryzen 5350G PRO).

MJ11-EC1 is a pleasant surprise, within its limits. The stock CPU fan is awfully noisy, but can be easily unscrewed and replaced with a whisper-quiet Noctua NF-A6x25, which provides sufficient cooling. The SlimSAS 4i port only works as 4*SATA; neither cross-flashing a MJ11-EC0 BIOS nor playing with hidden variables of the native BIOS could switch it to NVMe. The 8i slot is the only option to add PCIe devices; using a 10GTek cable SFF-8654 8i to 2*SFF-8639, I could use one U.2 drive from it—the slot does NOT bifurcate.
If the i210 NIC is sufficient, this board and its 8 SATA ports looks like a perfect fit for small NAS builds in Fractal Design Node 304 or Jonsbo N1/N2/N3 cases. Slimline 4i to SATA breakout cables can be found on eBay for <20 E. But one needs a 3D printer to make an I/O shield.

If the 1 GbE NIC is a limitation, I've spotted some offers on eBay for (Datto-rebranded) Gigabyte MB10-DS4 from 350E onwards:
In Supermicro terms, these would be a cross between X10SDV-4C-TLN4F (same 2*10G + 2*1G NIC, D-1518) and X10SDV-TLN2F (same D-1521, loses the 2*i210 NIC). Given the poor supply of second-hand X10SDV boards in Europe, these Gigabyte MB10 could be an honest alternative.
A possible caveat is IPMI: I don't know what kind of IPMI is provided by the MB10. If it's the same HTML5 IPMI as the MC12 and MJ11, it's good but I did NOT like the Java-only (i.e. unusable from a Mac…) IPMI on a Datto-rebranded AsRockRack D1541D4U-2T8R, which belongs to the same Xeon D-1500 generation.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
After going deep through BIOS settings, I found an option to allow ECC error injection. MemTest86 Pro successfully ran on both the Ryzen MC12-EC0 and EPYC MJ11-EC1 while testing ECC.
Holy crap, Gigabyte shoots and scores! Does the SEL log the errors properly?
Of particular interest compared with Supermicro, Gigabyte lets you designate an ISO file from your own computer, load it as virtual device and even pass it to the BIOS as default boot option from a drop-down menu in the HTML5 remote console. A bit slow but very convenient.
Supermicro's "Try-not-to-remove-or-hide-behind-paywall-standard-MegaRAC-features" challenge level: impossible.

Etorix

Wizard
Holy crap, Gigabyte shoots and scores! Does the SEL log the errors properly?
Good question. I was satisfied that MemTest ran properly with ECC error injection (and without complaining that injection was disabled, as was the case with default settings). I have launched test again on the MJ11-EC1, but I cannot see anything in the BMC logs.

cervisalex

Cadet

Etorix

Wizard
Yes, it should work. Mind that this old EPYC drops speeds if running 2DPC so you may want a single pair of large RDIMMs. Second-hand RDIMM is cheap.
Just like the MC12-EC0, the MJ11-EC1 has a dedicated thread on STH, where many technical questions are possibly answered already. For the manual, look for the G431-MM0 system the board comes from.

I'm planning a build with the MJ11-EC1 but mainly have SAS spinning rust, do you know if this would work with the inbuilt SlimSAS connector?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It most definitely will not. Do not mistake a physical connector for any sort of support for a given technology.