I need advice.

j.lanham

Explorer
We have two truenas core servers, one older production and a new one that stores our nightly snapshots from the production system with the intention of transferring to the new system, but I ran out of time. We have a series of datasets under a dataset called "Data" so we can snapshot our data without transferring the system data in the main pool, which contains our system data set. I have not been transferring the iocage data set because we no longer use jails. Is there any way to setup our all of our shares configuration from our production box in preparation for a possible emergency move? If I have to reload our existing configuration to the new NAS, will I need the iocage on the new server even though we no longer use it?

What would be the production impact and management of snapshots if I increased the replication task to every four hours instead of nightly?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Jails are not part of a configuration backup, so if you save your config and then restore it to the standby system, all your shares will be configured and the jails will not.

j.lanham

Explorer
Is there any way to just transfer the share setup and not restore the whole configuration? Just so we have it ready in case a failure is imminent?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Nope. All or nothing.

Davvo

MVP

j.lanham

Explorer
Nope. All or nothing.
So, I basically have to do a final snapshot send, turn off snapshot send on the old server, mark all of my data sets read/write, restore the configuration, make any nic differences and it should come back up basically as the old server.

j.lanham

Explorer
Jails are not part of a configuration backup, so if you save your config and then restore it to the standby system, all your shares will be configured and the jails will not.
So basically, whether jails were configured on the old system has no impact on restoring the configuration to the new server?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It's a bummer. Why is not part of the config?
Because the config of jails is stored in <pool>/iocage/jails/*/config.json - replicate that recursively and all your jails are present.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So basically, whether jails were configured on the old system has no impact on restoring the configuration to the new server?
1. No, it doesn't.
2. Even if the jail configuration was in the backup - what would happen? Oh, I have these jails but the datasets are not there so I cannot start them. So? If that is your intention, everything is fine, innit?

j.lanham

Explorer
1. No, it doesn't.
2. Even if the jail configuration was in the backup - what would happen? Oh, I have these jails but the datasets are not there so I cannot start them. So? If that is your intention, everything is fine, innit?
So, I basically have to do a final snapshot send, turn off snapshot send on the old server, mark all of my data sets read/write, restore the configuration, make any nic differences and it should come back up basically as the old server.
If you have a moment, what do you think about my understanding of the process?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer