Install Plugins on TrueNas without Internet Access

GST

Cadet
Hi everybody.
i tried to use the search but i couldn't find anything. probably i can't think of the right search terms!

We have a new TrueNas system at work, and so far it works great. After installation we moved it into our server room and into our production network.
this network is without access to the internet.
We would like to have syncthing running to synchronize some folders.
Is there a way to import the plugins to truenas without it connecting to the internet?

Thanks in advance!

Gerald

Not a very well thought out ITSEC plan. How do you plan to install TrueNAS/plugin updates that may contain patches for security vulnerabilities?

1. Connect NAS to non-production network
2. Install desired plugins
3. Connect NAS to production network.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is there a way to import the plugins to truenas without it connecting to the internet?
Not really.

But you can possibly hack around the requirements of downloading the jail templates and install txz package files in a jail that you copy to the server somehow(from here: https://freebsd.pkgs.org/12/freebsd-amd64/), but you'll have to live with manual jails rather than plugins if you will have any hope of continuing with absolutely no internet connection for that server.

GST

Cadet
Not a very well thought out ITSEC plan. How do you plan to install TrueNAS/plugin updates that may contain patches for security vulnerabilities?

1. Connect NAS to non-production network
2. Install desired plugins
3. Connect NAS to production network.
Thanks for the reply.

i would have thought, that there are more people in a similar situation running it in a closed networks, and that there is a way to do installation and updates manually, like the system update can be done.
of course i can just regularly switch networks and do updates, was just hoping for a more software based solution!