Installing Transmission on TrueNAS Scale

ngc2218

Cadet
Is there a tutorial for installing Transmission app ? Going with defaults options, only results in the app not being able to write the download file to the directory because of permission errors.
What I did:
1. Make a dataset on my pool, named Transmission
2. Install transmission app
3. In EDIT configuration, the part that is confusing to me:

Storage and Persistence​

Type of storage: Default option is PVC. Do I leave it like this or choose something else?
Configure Additional App Storage
Custom storage->Type of storage->default is PVC. Do I leave it like this or choose something else?
Mount path? Do I set my Transmission dataset here??

3.2 The user that has r/w access to the Transmission dataset has an ID = 1000
Do I put this ID into the runAsUsr/runAsGroup/fsGroup?

Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only Transmission app is from Truecharts, and their main support channel is their own Discord, not here (as I'm pretty sure they now tell you every single time you install one of their apps). But with that said, this might be relevant:

Whiskey

Dabbler
In the past I used Transmission as well, but switched to qbittorrent. Doesn't matter much which, configuration is mostly the same. There's a video on installing qbittorrent with VPN by TrueCharts here: VPN Client for Truecharts Applications - Truenas Scale

But to answer your questions, storage should be added as "Host path", if you use PVC you will not be able to share it. So yes, put a folder in the dataset here that is shared so you can access it. The "host path" parameter points to the folder in the dataset on the NAS system (you can browse to it), the "mount path" is the directory that it will be mounted to inside the container, i.e. what transmission/qbittorrent sees.

With regard to which UID, I left at the default in the app configuration and made sure the "apps" user owns or has write access to the folder you mount as host path.