Migrate from unraid

mattcoughlin

Cadet
Hi everyone! I'm considering moving my server from unraid plex server to truenas. My unraid keeps crashing and I'm getto g pretty fed up. I replaced litterally everything in the system except the spinning hard drives at least twice and haven't been able to fix the issue. Hardware is as follows:

Intel 13900k
Gigabit z790 mobo
128gb ram
Supermicro 846 chassis
Lsi hba
Dell (Intel) spf28 nic
8x10tb drives
8x14tb drives
4x22tb drives
4x2tb nvme drives

I run plex, radarr, sonarr, lidarr, sabnzb, and lancache. My question is how what would the best way to setup the vdevs form my hdds. And can I use the nvme drives and a read cache so the drives don't have to spin up all the time when my kids watch the same TV shows/movies over and over. Also am I understanding properly that only truenas core is the only is that will support my 13th gen Intel?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi everyone! I'm considering moving my server from unraid plex server to truenas. My unraid keeps crashing and I'm getto g pretty fed up. I replaced litterally everything in the system except the spinning hard drives at least twice and haven't been able to fix the issue. Hardware is as follows:

Intel 13900k
Gigabit z790 mobo
128gb ram
Supermicro 846 chassis
Lsi hba
Dell (Intel) spf28 nic
8x10tb drives
8x14tb drives
4x22tb drives
4x2tb nvme drives

I run plex, radarr, sonarr, lidarr, sabnzb, and lancache. My question is how what would the best way to setup the vdevs form my hdds. And can I use the nvme drives and a read cache so the drives don't have to spin up all the time when my kids watch the same TV shows/movies over and over. Also am I understanding properly that only truenas core is the only is that will support my 13th gen Intel?

Cobia (SCALE 23.10) should support and is recommended for app-scentric applications like this.

Does the motherboard have ECC?... TrueNAS won't fix a memory issue.

Do you want the drives in a single pool.... its awkward, but possible if are tolerant of some performance imbalance or wasted capacity. Which is more important max capacity or max performance.

The awkward part is that when a drive fails, you either have to replace or keep 22TB drives as spares.

mattcoughlin

Cadet
So the motherboard supports ecc ram but I currently just have non ecc ram.

My original plan was to do vdevs (or clusters) of 4 in 1 pool but I don't know if that's the best having 5x raid 5s.the only zfs pool I've run is nvmes for caching unraid.

mattcoughlin

Cadet
The capacity and reliability is more important than the performance. I just use it as a media server. Also how can I utilize the nvme drives? I'd like to set them as a read cache for recent files.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I have a similar setup at home. In my case I'm using the nvme devices as another discrete pool, and keeping my App config data there, along with an SMB share for small files, like photos that we manage with Immich. Other media all stored on the spinning pool where its just sequential read/writes occasionally.