NFS share can't be mounted after TrueNAS reboot

MasterYous

Cadet
Very similar to this issue: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/nfs-share-not-mounting-after-freenas-reboot.75489/
but occurring on latest TrueNAS (12.0-U3.1).

The weird thing is I have 5 other shares which work fine. 3 of those 5 are configured the exact same way with similar ACLs. If I log into the web GUI, disable the share, save, then re-enable the share, and save, it works from that point on, until the next reboot.

On a Linux (Ubuntu) client trying to mount the share before the workaround above, I get a "failed system call" error. It is not related to the command itself, as again, after a disable/re-enable, it works. I've tried doing it from the command line, with automation in /etc/fstab, and from another client as well, and the same error occurs.

I am not sure what logs to share, but here are some screenshots of the permissions and the config (please ignore the REDACTED part of the authorized networks, there is a valid IP block in there).

Can anyone shed any light on this?
TIA!

edit: forgot to mention, I have even tried deleting the share entirely and recreating it from scratch, with no luck in terms of solving this issue.

1622656481923.png

The ACL config:
1622656571927.png

1622656625572.png

Last edited:

MasterYous

Cadet
Bumping this after a long time. :)

This is still happening to me on TrueNAS 12.0-U8 and has been happening ever since U3 and possibly before. One out of my 6 NFS shares won't allow clients to mount after a reboot. If I disable it, and then re-enable it, everything works. I've tried to find logs that might help diagnose this but I can't. A screenshot of the configuration is below. The mapall group is a group from AD, but other than this, nothing about this configuration is complex. This same configuration works quite well with all 5 other NFS shares, which use the same network access list and group/user access maps. these folders are also shared out via SMB for Windows and Mac clients but NFS is simple so I'd like to keep using it. I'm not sure yet if I should file a bug. Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 9.45.14 AM.png

MasterYous

Cadet
I was able to stop this from happening by deleting the SMB share, stripping all of the windows ACLs from the dataset (reverted to unix permissions only), and then re-creating an SMB share with the same path. I then reapplied ACLs by using presets, tweaked them a bit, and saved recursively. Voila, NFS sharing from this dataset works right away after a reboot now. Call me puzzled.

Fibergeek

Cadet
I'm also having this issue as of updating to 12.0-U8. Never seen it before until today.

I'll try the above fix if it happens again.

MasterYous

Cadet
My issue recurred with every single reboot, it wasn’t a one time thing. If you start seeing it happen with each reboot, then it’s likely the same problem. Good luck.

Fibergeek

Cadet
Well damn, It's been happening just like you said lol.

Slightly different setup though. I've had these datasets configured prior to ACLs being rolled out in TrueNAS so there is no ACLs re stripe and redo.

I'm also having this happen to all my NFS shares rather than just 1.

Since SMB seems to be the main issue I think I'm going to delete all SMB shares, and disable SMB all together. Everything I'm sharing to is Linux based other than my desktop which I can get an NFS client for.

MasterYous

Cadet
I had mine configured prior to the cool new ACL manager too. You should still be able to strip ACLs, which reverts the SMB share to Unix permissions. At this point I would then test a reboot and see if the NFS is mountable by your clients. If not, deleting the SMB shares should fix the issue. you could then recreate the SMB shares and use share presets to pick the standard options. Then in permissions manager you should start with ACL presets which seem to do a good job. This series of choices solved the issue for me and I was able to have SMB and NFS co-exist.

If you don’t need SMB that is well and good to delete the shares as well, but there is a way to make it all work. :)