SOLVED Plex client via high latency satellite connection

ver151set

Dabbler
Server is on a 1 Gbps connection and all clients run fine except one. My parents have a vacation property in the sticks with hughesnet. Speedtest there usually comes in around 20 Mbps and netflix/prime will play HD just fine. For some reason Plex refuses to play, movies will play about 30 seconds then fail over this connection, even when quality is set as low 0.2 Mbps.

I asked about this via plex support and they said I likely would need to adjust TCP due to high latency of hughesnet connection - about 900 ms

Anyone have any experience streaming plex over a high latency connection, or a solution? TIA

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
This article provides some hints... http://www.kehlet.cx/articles/99.html

I haven't yet worked out exactly what to change on TrueNAS or in the jail, but I confirm I see the same issue with Plex when I travel to other continents.

EDIT:
I also found this... http://xgu.ru/wiki/TCP_tuning

Which seems to indicate changing these (right above the highwat settings for solaris mentioned in the other article):

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=16777216
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=1048576
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=1048576

I won't be in a position to check these for a while, so let me know if you try them how it goes.

Make sure to use tunables if you're expecting to survive a reboot (which that article says is necessary for it to work).

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If both locations run OpenWRT on their routers, you could create a UDPspeeder tunnel between both sites, and then run OpenVPN inside that tunnel.

ver151set

Dabbler
This article provides some hints... http://www.kehlet.cx/articles/99.html

I haven't yet worked out exactly what to change on TrueNAS or in the jail, but I confirm I see the same issue with Plex when I travel to other continents.

EDIT:
I also found this... http://xgu.ru/wiki/TCP_tuning

Which seems to indicate changing these (right above the highwat settings for solaris mentioned in the other article):

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=16777216
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=1048576
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=1048576

I won't be in a position to check these for a while, so let me know if you try them how it goes.

Make sure to use tunables if you're expecting to survive a reboot (which that article says is necessary for it to work).
I will load up the tunables, should be back out there within a week or two to test, Ill let you know if it helps

ver151set

Dabbler
If both locations run OpenWRT on their routers, you could create a UDPspeeder tunnel between both sites, and then run OpenVPN inside that tunnel.
Sounds handy, unforunately plex server network is behind pfsense, remote network is behind merlin firmware on a asus ac3200

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Also try changing the TCP congestion control algorithm:

In this case, try Cubic or H-TCP.

Last edited:

ver151set

Dabbler
Perfect, going to try cubic

Thanks for your help guys, if I get plex playing well out there my mom will be very happy

sretalla