Tailscale and Rsync

lstef11

Dabbler
Hi guys
Sorry if I'm missing something really simple here but I need some help.

I have a truenas server at home and a truenas server at a friend's place both running scale and I'd like to be able to remote backup my server to a pool I have setup on his using rsync.

Originally i setup port forwarding in his router and if I enter his public ip in the rsync settings I can connect to the remote server fine and backup no worries however recently I found tailscale in truecharts and thought I'd be able to do it through there as he doesn't have a static IP.

I have setup tailscale with subnets on both and I can access the webGUI and shares on the remote system from my house but I can't get rsync to connect at all using the lan ip or the tailscale ip even though I can access the webGUI and shares using ethir.

Is there something I need to enable or change to get rsync working through the tailscale network?

Thanks for any help in advance.

sanderb2001

Cadet
Bump on this one,

I'm running in exactly the same issue. I followed the guide from Raid Owl https://youtu.be/o2MX10C8Ez8

He mentioned that pull does not work in his setup. But I'm trying push and that also does not work...

Then I tried the docker guide on his webpage but that "install" only throws errors.

So I have Tailscale installed as app. It works amazing but indeed same as lstef11 Rsync does not want to work.
Did you manage to resolve this?

I found some comments in the video of Raid Owl that give some tips but these also don't make it work.... (see below)

"In case it helps others I got this working using the GUI only. You will have to ensure that Host Networking is enabled and Userspace is disabled. You also need to set two sysctl values: net.ipv4.ip_forward net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark There is more documentation on the truecharts website."

ddos127

Dabbler
"In case it helps others I got this working using the GUI only. You will have to ensure that Host Networking is enabled and Userspace is disabled. You also need to set two sysctl values: net.ipv4.ip_forward net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark There is more documentation on the truecharts website."

Hi
Can you clarify where these setting need to be applied, i'm trying to set up rsync between 2 truenas systems via tailscale and unfortunately its not working