SOLVED TrueNAS Scale on HP ML350P Gen8

Hi all.
I recently purchased an ML350P, attempting to install Scale (for the past weeks or so).
Current setup is one CPU, 196Gb RAM, 2 120Gb SSD's (starting light) connected to the integrated P420i.
(Future is dual CPU, running Scale from those 120's, running Stable diffusion on a Tesla M40 from a 300Gb SAS drive, Scale in ZFS on a second P420 in HBA mode to handle 8 4Tb NAS disks)

I'm attempting to install Scale on those 2 120's (HW raid mirroring) so they are seen as one logical drive.

Made a bootable usb (with balena etcher, 32gb, supported by the mainboard) with Scale's ISO on it.
Grub process runs fine as far as I can tell, but my system flatly refuses to bootup Scale.
I do not want to run scale in a virtual environment, and yes - the boot order is correct, HP's SPP8.1 magic done.

What am I missing?

Thanks for help & feedback!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm attempting to install Scale on those 2 120's (HW raid mirroring) so they are seen as one logical drive.
Exactly what controller are you using to create a true HW RAID Mirror? I suspect you are trying to use the motherboard to create a HW RAID, which I would have to say, I've never seen a true HW RAID from one of those. These are typically only for OS's that support this feature, hence it's partially software based.

Suggestions: Destroy the RAID and then try to install on a single SSD. If you desire you could install on the two SSD at the same to to create a ZFS software Mirror. If you really want a true mirrored boot pair to be seen as a single device and have true failover protection, then you are likely going to need a RAID card for this purpose.

Should have specified that… the current drives are on the embedded HW raid card. (P420i with 512mb cache)

But you’re right, I didn’t know I can use Scale to manage its own boot disk in zfs.
I’ll set the p420i also in HBA and try again…

Thx for your reaction!

523DE61C-FDBD-4D84-B3C2-F20A5C4E7370.jpeg

I’m assuming this error message might be important…

Solved
I removed all logical drives and erased with the HP tool, recreated them, reinstalled it, system boots on it no hassle at all.
I have no idea why, or how.
So now Scale is running from 2 hw mirrored 120gb ssd’s.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you have it working.