VS Code remote ssh connection

Berkyjay

Contributor
I'm trying to set up a remote SSH connection to my Truenas (Core) 13.1 server to do some dev work in it. But I'm unable to get VS Code to connect. I'm on a Windows 10 machine and am able to successfully SSH into my server from a command line. So I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm curious if anyone else has successfully used VS Code on their server in this way?

EDIT:

Found this in the output
Code:
Unsupported platform: FreeBSD

I guess TrueNAS Core isn't supported.

Last edited:

Berkyjay

Contributor
You can try spinning up a Linux VM, though and connect it with your CORE setup by sharing the folder.
I'm just going to stick with developing on my PC and using git to push code changes to my server. But it would be a nice experiment to see if I can do it.

tprelog

Patron
Always something I was interested in when I used TrueNAS CORE - I haven't followed much lately but I did notice someone got it working in a Jail

It's buried in a GitHub issue - the following link should go the comment I'm referring, though I have not tried this myself

Berkyjay

Contributor
Always something I was interested in when I used TrueNAS CORE - I haven't followed much lately but I did notice someone got it working in a Jail

It's buried in a GitHub issue - the following link should go the comment I'm referring, though I have not tried this myself

So did he set it up so he can open up a chrome tab, enter his jails IP and run VSCode in that tab?

tprelog

Patron
So did he set it up so he can open up a chrome tab, enter his jails IP and run VSCode in that tab?
Good question. I'm not certain but that's the impression I got

In the comment I have linked to, they said

I put it behind an Nginx reverse proxy with a self-signed TLS cert and I even got it to serve fonts locally like Fira Code!

I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised how well this works. If you use Chrome, after navigating to your servers URL, you can click the install button in the URL bar which creates an icon on your desktop, and makes it a full window. This makes it look and work exactly like the desktop version of Codium! I actually like it better than the remote ssh extension that we have been begging for lol.

I realize now, that's not what you were asking about. Sorry I can't offer more

Berkyjay

Contributor
Good question. I'm not certain but that's the impression I got

In the comment I have linked to, they said

I realize now, that's not what you were asking about. Sorry I can't offer more
Oh no, I saw that too and I'm glad you think the same thing. That's pretty neat if that's what it does. I'm definitely going to give this a try.