ZFS on both proxmox and truenas

aelsharawi

Dabbler
Im going back and forth between ZFS on Proxmox and truenas

now I have a tank ZFS on proxmox

now Installed truenas and imported the ZFS

WILL THIS DO ANY HARM?

still did not delete it from proxmox

also I can't pass thru PCI (nothing available) but I was able to scsi add through

aelsharawi

Dabbler
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 3.59.43 PM.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Looks like you might benefit from looking at this:

You may also need to look at using Raw device instead.

What exactly are you hoping to pass into the TrueNAS VM?

also I can't pass thru PCI (nothing available) but I was able to scsi add through
This will likely not be a good result for you, probably some data loss somewhere down the line.

danb35

Hall of Famer
WILL THIS DO ANY HARM?
You have the same pool mounted to both systems at the same time? Yes, it's highly likely that will do great harm. ZFS isn't designed to be a shared filesystem.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The only way that does not come with a severe risk of data loss is to pass the entire HBA or SATA controller to the TrueNAS VM. For more please have a look at the resources in my signature.

aelsharawi

Dabbler
I passed the SDA and SDB with serial numbers ass a hard drives by manually editing the conf

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As expected, random YouTube videos carry terrible advice. Oh, you're not the first one to come across this particular video, apparently I'd disliked it already!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I passed the SDA and SDB with serial numbers ass a hard drives by manually editing the conf
Disk passthrough for TrueNAS is a bad idea. But if you want to do it for other guest OSs, there's no reason to manually edit the .conf file; just run qm set 592 -scsi2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F41BLC. See the Proxmox wiki for more information.

Edit: but passing disks through like that does leave them available to Proxmox. So to reiterate what I said above, having the pool imported by both systems is very dangerous.

Last edited:

aelsharawi

Dabbler
looks like I will move my whole system to truenas bare metal (abandon proxmox altogether) I like coding but Im not an engineer and I sometime can't find the time or the resources to solve this

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Sounds reasonable to me. After all, the complexity of such a "combined' system is considerably higher than a clear-cut setup.